Wednesday 19 October 2011

Taylor Going For 16Th Title

PHIL TAYLOR has sent a chilling warning to his rivals: "I'm gunning for my sweet 16th World Championship win."

The Power has won three major titles in succession and seven events in total in 2011.
Now he's got his sights set on the big one again at the Alexandra Palace.
Not bad for a player written off, once again, after his worst world championship display in 20 years and defeats in the Premier League semi-finals and UK Open fifth round.
Taylor said: "I've been walking around with a target on my back for two decades, I'm used to it.
"I've seen a lot of players and critics come and go over that time and in some ways the stick I get is my greatest inspiration.
"Since I lost to Mark Webster at the Ally Pally I've been finished according to some people.
"Then I lost to Adrian Lewis on the opening night of the Premier League at the O2 and it all started again.
"I was then unbeaten until the semis, but then I got written off again.
"My defeat to Paul Nicholson in the UK Open was the final nail in my coffin apparently.
"I wasn't playing well, but I had been through a lot personally over quite a few months.
"My grandson, Jack, was born premature before the world champs and that obviously occupied a lot of my thoughts.
"During the Premier League I split with my wife, Yvonne, and once again that's a huge impact.
"But I've sorted myself out now and I'm beginning to silence the critics after winning the Matchplay, European Championship and Grand Prix."
Taylor is now preparing for next month's Grand Slam, but he's already got his eye on the big prize next January.
He said: "I'm after the World Championship, more than anything, and I'll use Wolverhampton as a stepping stone towards that.
"People said I'd never win another one, but I want my 16th. That would be sweet.
"I'm 51 and I've got more energy than half of the other players put together, which shows I'm doing things right."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.