Wednesday 9 November 2011

ANDERSON Stormed Off Stage

GARY ANDERSON slammed the 'dark arts' of darts after storming off stage due to a rival SNIFFING.

World No4 Anderson left the oche during the ProTour event quarter-final in Spain when he was losing 5-4 to Jamie Caven.
He claimed Caven was trying to put him off as he threw by sniffing loudly.
Officials tried to persuade Ando to return, but he refused and forfeited the tie.
The Scot said: "Jamie seemed to be sniffing an awful lot.
"If it wasn't deliberate then it was a hell of a coincidence that it happened on my first and third throws.
"I'd had enough after nine legs. I just walked off. That's not the way I want to compete.
"The officials wanted me to return, but it was too late.
"Jamie was leading 5-4 and if we'd gone back after I'd stopped the game and I'd gone on to win, I would have been accused of gamesmanship.
"I spoke to him afterwards and we've sorted it. What's done is done. I told him what I thought of it."
Anderson has been blighted by on-stage controversies. Two years ago he was involved in 'Floorboardgate' when he accused Adrian Lewis of stomping back from the oche to make the stage move when he was throwing.
Then earlier this year Anderson gave up his Premier League clash with Lewis in Glasgow after yobs pelted the stage with coins.
Now Sniffgate is the latest controversy to rock darts.
Ando added: "The dark arts of darts has been going on for some time now. We know the players who are notorious for it.
"But it's becoming a joke now, it's happening more often.
"It seems to be part of the tactics for so many players now.
"When you are focused in the middle of a match you can almost hear a pin drop, that's how much you are concentrating.
"So the slightest thing can put you off. We are used to that from fans, but not from fellow professionals.
"I'm very old fashioned. I just like to go up and throw my darts with no complications.
"I'm not going to put up with any nonsense."
Caven was quick to deny the allegation.
He blasted: "I've never been accused of gamesmanship in my life.
"I was totally unaware of his feelings during the game. He just shook my hand and walked off. I certainly didn't do anything on purpose."
The drama has unfolded just as Ando prepares for the William Hill Grand Slam in Wolverhampton which kicks off on Saturday.
He has been given a tricky draw, opening against undertaker Nigel Heydon, with Brendan Dolan and Wayne Jones also in his group.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.