Tuesday 6 December 2011

Anderson eyes World darts glory

Gary Anderson aims to go one better at the forthcoming PDC World Championship, having lost in the final last January.

And the Scotsman dreams of beating 15-times winner Phil Taylor to clinch the top prize in darts.

The tournament runs from 15 December to 2 January at the Alexandra Palace in London and the 40-year-old opens against Jyhan Artut.

"If you want to win the Worlds, you'd want to beat Taylor in the final," Anderson told BBC Scotland.

In last year's event, Anderson beat Dennis Priestley, Andy Smith, Raymond van Barneveld and Terry Jenkins en route to a final showdown with Adrian Lewis.

The Scot lost 7-5 in the final but later avenged that defeat to clinch this season's Premier League title.

"I'm looking forward to the Worlds but everyone will be expecting because I was in the final last year," explained Anderson, currently ranked fourth.

"But there's that many good players now, it's going to a hard tournament right from the word go.

"There aren't many mugs in it."

Taylor and Lewis are the number one and two seeds at Alexandra Palace and Anderson reckons the former is once again the man to beat.

"He's 15-times World Champion and the way he's playing, he's going to take some stopping from making it 16," he said.

"If I'm going to do it, it's got to be soon, because we're getting too old for this."

While the legendary Taylor is renowned for his diligent practice, putting in three hours every day before lunch, Anderson has a more relaxed attitude.

"It gets a bit tedious on my own," he explained.

"I come out here for maybe an hour, start talking to myself and I start to lose the plot a bit.

"It's hard, I was working in the pub for four years, and there was always somebody wanting to play darts."

"In the house, sometimes I just want to put my feet up because it's [practice] like taking your work home."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.