Wednesday 21 December 2011

COLIN LLOYD 3-1 DARIN YOUNG

COLIN LLOYD came from a set down to defeat Darin Young 3-1 in the first round of the Ladbrokes World Darts Championship.

The Essex man will now face either Andy Smith or Scott Rand for a place in the third round of the competition following a gutsy display as he hit back strongly.

American number one Young edged the opening set, but Lloyd - who lost in the second round a year ago - took nine of the next 12 legs to secure his last 32 place.

"I felt I played very well in the first set, but Darin took out some excellent finishes," said a victorious Lloyd. "I didn't let me head drop after falling behind, I kept at it and got the job done, which I'm very pleased about."

Lloyd hit a 180 with his first three darts, but missed three chances to win the opening leg and Young made his opponent pay by landing double 12 at the first attempt.

Young won the second in 15 darts before Lloyd took the third leg, hitting a maximum and double five, to get off the mark.

Lloyd hit a brace of 140s to take command of the fourth, but a missed dart at double 15 allowed Young to hit a two-dart 62 and claim the opening set.

Both players hit double top to hold their throws in the opening two legs of the second set before Lloyd broke Young's throw for the first time with a 13-darter, completed on double 12.

The Colchester ace, who lost to Mark Hylton at Alexandra Palace 12 months ago, then hit double eight in the next to complete a 15-dart finish and square the game by winning the set.

Lloyd won the first leg of set three by hitting double nine before the American hit back to take the second with an excellent 118 checkout.

Lloyd hit double 19 to take the third leg and the world number 13 then posted double five with his third dart to take the set and lead 2-1.

Young hit double top to make a winning start to the fourth set before Lloyd took the next by hitting the same bed.

The 2005 World Matchplay champion then secured a break of throw to win the third leg on double 18, and a successful attempt at double ten closed out the match.

"I'm nice and relaxed and I feel good, and that's nice for me but dangerous for whoever I play next," added Lloyd. "I've been practising with Bobby George and his son Richie, who's a fantastic young player, and it's been great for me.

"Bobby told me not to worry too much, and that getting beaten isn't a problem as long as you know you've put in the preparation. He believes in me and it was a matter of me believing in myself again."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.