Thursday 29 December 2011

GARY ANDERSON 4-2 DEVON PETERSEN

GARY ANDERSON was fully tested by South Africa's Devon Petersen before claiming a third round place in the Ladbrokes World Darts Championship with a 4-2 victory.

The Scot, last year's runner-up at Alexandra Palace, looked on course for a comfortable win when he took five of the first six legs, only for Petersen to take the second set to level and threaten to win the fourth before Anderson led 3-1.

Petersen continued to fight and won the fifth set 3-1, but Anderson closed out victory in style in the next by hitting finishes of 134, 98 and 124 for a trio of 12-darters.

"Devon missed a few doubles and let me in early on, but he started to play well and it became very tough for me," admitted Anderson.

"These youngsters are all really good players and their not scared on the big stages, and Devon is no exception. I was impressed by him and I'm relieved to be through that."

The first leg proved tricky for both players as the pair missed early chances before Anderson stepped in on double eight to lead.

The Scot, who defeated Jyhan Artut in an enthralling first round clash, won the next two legs with finishes of 13 and 14 darts to take the first set for an early advantage.

Anderson continued the high standard at the start of the second set with another 14-darter, before Petersen won his first leg of the match on double top.

Anderson, who reached the final 12 months ago, won the third leg on double two after the South African was guilty of missing seven darts at doubles, but then paid for wasting two darts for the set as Petersen took out a 13-darter to level the set and a 14-dart finish to square the match.

The third set began with Anderson holding throw before Petersen hit a superb 11-dart finish to take the second, finishing 100 in two darts.

The Scot won the third leg by checking out 90 and then took out 83 to win the set, with the aid of an improvised route of single three and two double tops.

Anderson secured a break of throw at the start of the fourth set with a 70 finish, and after the pair traded maximums as Petersen levelled in the second it was the Premier League Darts champion who kicked off the third with back-to-back 180s.

His hopes of a nine-darter were quashed when an attempt at seventh treble 20 was off-target, and he was unable to close out the leg as Petersen finished 61 to lead 2-1.

The 25-year-old South African then missed a dart at double top for the set in the fourth leg, and Anderson made him by recording an 81 finish, completed on the bullseye, to level.

A dramatic deciding leg saw Anderson miss two darts at double top, but Petersen could not capitalise as his dart at the bullseye for a 128 checkout was off-target, allowing the Scot back in to hit double top for a 3-1 cushion in the game.

Anderson also led in the fifth set, courtesy of double five, and hit his tenth 180 in the second leg, but it was not enough as Petersen levelled on double top before recording a 70 finish to break.

Petersen then took the fourth leg by hitting double eight to win the set and reduce the deficit to 3-2.

Anderson started set six with a showpiece 134 checkout, hitting treble 18 and two double tops, although Petersen was unfazed by that slice of brilliance as he levelled with a 13-darter.

Anderson regained the advantage by taking out a 98 finish for his second 12-darter of the set to move one leg away from the win, and after Petersen finished 64 to level again he took out a classy 124 to secure victory.

"I'm not making it easy for myself but Devon played well and it was a good match," said Anderson. "I've put a lot of work in over Christmas and it's not quite clicking on stage yet.

"I scored well again but then started snatching my darts and I've got to fight through that. It will be a good game with Colin Lloyd on Thursday, because we're both pretty direct in how we play and it will be a quick pace.

"We're getting to the nitty gritty end of the tournament now and there are 16 class players in the tournament, and I've just got to focus on my next game and making sure I hit enough doubles to win."

Petersen, who hails from Cape Town but is based in Bradford as he emerges on the PDC circuit, said: "I was really enjoying myself and wanted take the game to a deciding set, but Gary showed his class.

"This is just the start for me because I don't feel like I lost, I feel like inexperience beat me. I will go away, work hard, take the positives from this and come back a better player.

"I think there's a time where you learn not to lose, and I think I'm close to that. The next 12 months could possibly be life-changing for me because I feel confident and stronger."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.