Saturday 10 December 2011

JAMES WADE 8-6 STEVE BROWN

JAMES WADE moved into the quarter-finals of the Cash Converters Players Championship, defeating Steve Brown 8-6 in their second round contest at the Doncaster Dome.

The world number three took leads of 4-1 and 6-3 before holding off Brown's fightback to move into the last eight.

Although Brown hit a 180 in the opening leg, it was Wade who led courtesy of double ten before the Bristol ace finished 64 in two darts to level.

Brown posted another maximum in the third, but missed darts to break Wade's throw as the left-hander returned from earlier misses of his own to land double two.

Wade then took the fourth and hit a 180 and 106 checkout to move 4-1 up, and paid the price for some sloppy finishing in two visits in the sixth leg as Brown took out double ten to hit back.

Tops saw Brown pull back to within a leg at 4-3, but he missed two darts to level the match before Wade finished 142 on tops and hit the same bed in pushing 6-3 up.

Brown won his fourth leg in the next, being handed a reprieve following seven misses when he returned to hit double one and move back to within touching distance.

Wade posted a 177 to leave 84 in the 11th, with double 12 putting him a leg away from victory at 7-4 before Brown again hit back, albeit aided by missed bullseyes from the UK Open champion in the next two.

Wade was unable to convert chances at 121 and 128 to seal the victory as Brown twice hit tops to stay in the game, but when the Bristol ace also missed the bull - for a 132 checkout - Wade took his chance on double top.

"I'm pleased to be through but I felt a bit lethargic up there and didn't play as well as I wanted to," said Wade.

"It was good enough but I know I've got to improve to win this title on Sunday - I know what I'll need to do and it's up to me to show it."

Brown said: "I'm disappointed to lose but I didn't get out of the blocks well and I was behind from the early stages. James played well and deserved to win."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.