Tuesday 27 December 2011

JOHN PART 4-1 RICHIE BURNETT

JOHN PART ended the hopes of Richie Burnett with a convincing 4-1 win in the second round of the Ladbrokes World Darts Championship.

Canada's three-time World Champion won nine of the first ten legs to take a 3-0 lead and establish a commanding advantage in the contest with some clinical finishing.

Burnett staged a brief revival to win the fourth set only, for Part to close out the game in the next, to seal a place in the last 16 against Kevin Painter on Thursday.

"I felt good coming into the match, knowing the fact that I have managed to defeat Richie every time we have played," said Part.

"I took my opportunities early on and the only time I wobbled was in the fourth set, and he took the momentum.

"Maybe Richie was trying too hard and I know he can play better than that, but I think I did well to close it out in the fifth set.

"I'm working hard, trying to win matches and not taking anything for granted. I'm fighting up there like anybody else, and every match I win and every leg I take feels good."

Part hit double six to take the first leg of the game against the darts and the second also fell in the Canadian's favour.

Burnett won the third with a fabulous 136 checkout, before Part hit double 16 at the first time of asking to win the opening set.

Part hit a maximum in the process of taking the first leg of the second set, and landed another in the next, followed by a 76 finish, to break throw.

Part, who defeated Scotland's John Henderson in his first round match, missed six darts to win the set, but Burnett could not capitalise with two chances of his own as the Canadian took the opportunity to hit double four to win the set.

He then recorded a clinical two-dart 75 finish to make a positive start to set three, and both players missed chances to take the second leg before Part hit double five with his third dart to take a third successive leg.

Burnett hit a 180 in the next, but missed three more darts at doubles, and Part landed double eight to move further clear.

The Welshman, who defeated fellow countryman Mark Webster in a tough five-set battle in the first round, put together some excellent form in set four to reduce the deficit.

He hit a 65 finish to take the opening leg, and followed that by taking the next two legs in 13 and 14 darts to ignite his hopes of a comeback.

Burnett won his fourth straight leg at the start of the fifth set with an excellent 120 checkout, before both players hit 180s in the next.

Part, though, won it on double eight and then secured a vital break of throw in the next, by hitting double top with his third dart, after Burnett was off-target with three attempts at doubles.

That put the three-time World Champion one leg away from victory, and after Burnett missed a dart at double top, Part stepped in to close out the game on double 16.

Part meets recent Cash Converters Players Championship winner Kevin Painter in Thursday's third round, and added: "I know that Kevin is playing the best darts of his life right now, and our game on Thursday will be a very tough test for me.

"I've played Kevin in two World Championship semi-finals in 2003 and 2008, and I have gone on to win the title on both occasions. That says something for both of us spanning a period of time.

"I've had the better of it but he's just won a major so it's anybody's game. I feel pretty good but I'm sure he's feeling about as good as he's ever felt and I'll have to earn it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.