Monday 12 December 2011

KEVIN PAINTER 10-9 SCOTT RAND

KEVIN PAINTER produced a miracle comeback to battle from 9-6 down to end Scott Rand's Cash Converters Players Championship dream with a dramatic deciding-leg victory.

Rand, who has knocked out Raymond van Barneveld and James Wade in his run to a first major semi-final, continued his impressive emergence by leading 7-4 and 9-6.

However, his superb finishing faltered for the first time in the tournament has he missed two match darts for a 10-7 win as Painter took three successive legs to force a decider before snatching a sensational win on double eight.

"That's one of the most incredible games I've ever been involved in," admitted Painter, the 2004 World Championship runner-up.

"I thought I played well even though I was behind for most of the match. My scoring was good but I was sat on a finish a lot of times when Scott won legs and he never seemed to miss until that leg at the death.

"I put him under some pressure there at the end but I expected him to hit the double 16 for the match. He didn't and I took my chance."

Rand, nicknamed Cool Hand, showed few nerves in his first major semi-final by hitting 180s in winning each of the first two legs, landing double 16 and double eight.

Painter finished 96 on double 18 to get off the mark and then took out 130 on the bull to level, and shared the next two legs before Rand hit a 13-darter to take the seventh and punished misses from his opponent by taking out double 16 and 112 to lead 6-3.

Painter hit a 180 and finished 63 to win a fourth leg, before Rand took out 85 on tops to remain three legs clear at 7-4.

The pair traded double 16 checkouts before Painter pulled back to 8-6 by hitting a 180 and a second 96 finish of the game.

Rand, though, took out 76 to move a leg away from victory at 9-6 as he moved to within touching distance of a first major final after under two years as a professional.

Painter matched that 76 finish to begin his fightback, and when Rand saw two match darts at double 16 land outside the wire he finished tops to pull back to 9-8.

Double ten from Painter forced a decider, in which he was the stronger against the throw to mean that a 180 from Rand was in vain as he took out double eight to joyfully celebrate a remarkable comeback.

"It's the first time this week that I've wobbled on the doubles when I was on the double 16," admitted Rand. "My hand was shaking but I'm sure I'll have many more nights like this.

"Kevin's experience paid off and I can see how important that experience is now. It's been a very enjoyable weekend and I'm excited about the World Championship now.

"I'll be back driving lorries on Monday morning but one day I'd love to give that up and be a full-time professional. If I'd won the final I could have done that straight away, but it wasn't to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.