Saturday 10 December 2011

MERVYN KING 6-4 COLIN LLOYD

MERVYN KING came from 3-0 down to defeat Colin Lloyd 6-4 in a Cash Converters Players Championship first round thriller, responding to an earlier 170 from the Essex to seal victory by matching that maximum checkout.

Lloyd had stormed out of the blocks, taking out finishes of 102 and 170 to win the first two legs and also edged the third to lead 3-0 - only for King to win four in a row to level.

Lloyd levelled, but King hit a 12-darter to win a fifth leg and then sealed victory in some style by landing a 170 of his own.

"It was a real battle and I made it hard work for myself," said King. "I knew Colin would start well but I had to try and live with him, and I did that.

"We're great mates and I'll be reminding him for many years to come that my 170 was to win the match so it was more special than his!"

He will face either Phil Taylor or Terry Jenkins on Saturday, and added: "I've got a real hurdle to get over but I'm more than capable of that if my darts go well.

"I've reached the final of this event before and I'd love to go one better on Sunday night. I love the game and I love being in a contest, and after a bad 12 months I'm really up for this."

Former world number one Lloyd made a blistering start, finishing 102 on tops to win the opening leg and then taking out the maximum 170 to double his lead.

King opened the third with a 180, but missed five darts to get off the mark and Lloyd posted tops to move 3-0 up.

King regained his range on the doubles in the next two legs, following up a pair of maximums with two tops finishes as he pulled back to within a leg before checking out 107 on double 18 to level.

He then took out double eight to move 4-3 up, and after Lloyd levelled on tops he regained the lead by hitting a 12-dart leg, landing scores of 140, 180 and 140 before taking out double 16.

Lloyd hit three tons as he battled to stay in the game, but he was denied a dart at a finish in the next as King powered home his 170 finish to ensure the triumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.