Wednesday 28 December 2011

PAUL NICHOLSON 4-0 ALAN TABERN

PAUL NICHOLSON produced an impressive display to reach the last 16 of the Ladbrokes World Darts Championship with a straight-sets victory over Alan Tabern.

Nicholson won the opening six legs of the match to take full command and dropped just three legs in total during a fine performance.

The 2010 Players Championship Finals winner will now face Belgian Kim Huybrechts for a place in the quarter-finals on Thursday, as he bids to record his second major title.

Nicholson, who defeated Mensur Suljovic in his first match, made an excellent start by taking the opening two legs, which included a break of throw in the second following missed doubles from Tabern.

The number nine seed then hit double top at the first time of asking to win the set without reply with a second 13-dart finish of the game, and hit double 16 to make a winning start to the second.

Nicholson then hit a 106 checkout to win his fifth successive leg, which was followed by double 20 to seal a 2-0 lead.

The third set began with Nicholson missing six darts to extend his lead further, and Tabern landed double four to finally get a chalk on the scoreboard.

The left-hander then missed two darts at double 16 to win the second leg, which Nicholson stepped in to win with a clinical two-dart 80 finish.

Both players held their throws in the next two legs before Nicholson recorded a third 180 of the match in the fifth leg, and hit double four to move three sets clear.

Nicholson won the opening leg of set four against the darts, and then hit a clinical 112 checkout to move a leg away from victory.

Nicholson hit a maximum at the start of the third leg and left 16 after 12 darts thrown, but Tabern took hit back with a superb 103 checkout to keep the match alive.

However, Nicholson was not to be denied as he fired in another 180, followed by landing double 16 at the first time of asking to end the contest.

"I was feeling a little under the weather coming into the game and I rested over Christmas, got my mind right and that showed in my performance," said Nicholson.

"I kept my head down and did the job. I knew that Alan was struggling but if I gave him a sniff he could have come back into it, and I didn't do that.

"I've got a bit of experience and I've got to utilise that. I was proud of a couple of the ton-plus finishes there and I made the most of my chances."

Nicholson added: "I think the tournament is starting to show the strength in depth in this sport.

"I'm the kind of person who wants to take this sport forwards, and people like Kim Huybrechts, Dave Chisnall and myself showed tonight that we can dominate sessions and make the most of our opportunities.

"I've got to know Kim quite well since the European Championship in July and he's a nice kid, but I'm going to have to take him out. This tournament is what I want and he's standing in my way."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.