Saturday 10 December 2011

RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD 6-3 RONNIE BAXTER

RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD hit eight 180s in a heavy-scoring 6-3 win over Ronnie Baxter as he began his challenge at the Cash Converters Players Championship with a sensational performance.

The Dutchman's return to a similar set-up of darts with which he won a fifth World Championship in 2007 saw him power past Baxter and set up a second round contest with Scott Rand.

Van Barneveld opened the game with a 180 in a taste of what was to come over the next nine legs, taking out double eight for a 13-darter to lead and also hitting another maximum in the second and two in the third leg.

Baxter replied with a 180 of his own in taking the fourth, and when van Barneveld was unable to take his chances in the fifth he cut the gap to 3-2.

Baxter missed double 16 to level in the sixth, but when van Barneveld was unable to land double 18 the Blackpool ace took out double eight to level the game.

He also traded 180s with van Barneveld in the seventh, but double ten gave the Dutchman back the lead before four misses from Baxter proved costly as double ten gave him a 5-3 cushion.

Van Barneveld then added a further two 180s in setting up an 11-darter in the ninth leg, taking out double 16 for a powerful victory.

"I'm very happy with that performance and to average over 104," said van Barneveld. "Ronnie came back well to three-all but I missed doubles and let him in.

"If I'd not missed my doubles then I may have averaged 110 and enjoyed a better win, but I'm feeling good.

"I didn't have a good Grand Slam but I've gone back to this set-up and I've practised well, so to hit two treble 20s nearly every time I went to the oche was a big boost and I know now what I can do on stage with these darts."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.