Monday 12 December 2011

WES NEWTON 9-5 MARK WALSH

WES NEWTON hit back-to-back 170 checkouts to take a 9-5 win over Mark Walsh and win through to the semi-finals of the Cash Converters Players Championship.

The Fleetwood ace created a piece of history by taking the game's final two legs with the maximum finish, as he moved into his second major semi-final of 2011.

Having been defeated in June's UK Open final, the 34-year-old will now bid to claim his maiden major title on Sunday night, with both the semi-finals and final taking place at the Doncaster Dome.

"The 170s were special and it's lovely to win a match like that," admitted Newton. "My finishes are going in and I hit them when I had the chance there, so hopefully I can take that into the semis now.

"I was fighting all the way there and I can score better, but I'm through and that's all that matters.

"I was nervous coming into this game so I'm relieved to be through, but I'll relax now ahead of the semis."

Walsh edged the opening exchanges, hitting a 180 in taking the first leg and 108 to win the third after Newton had hit double ten to level.

The Fleetwood ace, though, finished a showpiece 100 with two double tops in the third and then finished 103 to break and lead 3-2, despite Walsh opening the leg with a maximum.

He then finished double top and double ten to win the next two and take a 5-2 lead, although Walsh hit back well to win the next two, hitting a 180 and double six for a third leg and double four to win his fourth.

Newton kicked off the tenth with a maximum - his second in as many legs - and finished double top to move 6-4 up.

Walsh replied on double 16, but Newton won a seventh leg to regain a two-leg advantage and went on to seal the victory with his brace of show-stopping 170s.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.