Sunday 20 November 2016

Chris Dobey 5-16 James Wade

Wade, meanwhile, motored into the semi-finals for the first time since 2010 with a 16-5 win over Chris Dobey as he handed the youngster a tough lesson in his first TV quarter-final, pulling clear from one-all to lead 6-1 with five successive finishes of 40.

Dobey took two of the next three to pull back to 7-3, including a second 13-dart finish, but paid for a missed double 16 in leg 11 as Wade pounced to start a run of six straight legs as he moved 13-3 up, hitting successive clinical checkouts of 76, 112 and 68 along the way.

A lapse in leg 17, when Wade missed five doubles across three visits, allowed Dobey to hit back on double four before a 152 checkout was acclaimed by the capacity crowd as the 26-year-old produced the game's biggest finish.

However, Dobey's miss at double 16 in the next allowed Wade in on his trusted tops to move 14-5 up, and the left-hander posted double ten and tops - for a 14-darter - to secure his last four spot.

"I'm buzzing to be through but I don't think the scoreline reflected the game," said Wade. "Chris missed quite a few doubles and I'm always going to be there to make the most of the opportunities.

"I'm really happy with how I played. The scoring wasn't very good but my finishing was clinical and that hurts players. When I hit my doubles I'm dangerous.

"I relied on a few of Chris' missed shots and I proved that I'm more experienced in this game, but we've all got something to look out for. His scoring is phenomenal, his finishing is a little bit weak at the moment because he's inexperienced at this time.

"We've had a slight taste of what Chris can do this week, and I'm glad that he got a little bit nervous, in my opinion, and the occasion got to him. He's a special player and he's going to be around for years."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.