Friday 30 December 2011

ANDY HAMILTON 4-0 DAVE CHISNALL

ANDY HAMILTON ended Dave Chisnall's dream Alexandra Palace debut with a convincing 4-0 victory in the third round of the Ladbrokes World Darts Championship.

Chisnall had created shockwaves in the sport by dumping out Phil Taylor in the second round, but was unable to recapture the magic which saw him triumph over the world number one 48 hours earlier.

The St Helens ace won just five legs in the four sets, as the clinical finishing which had proven so devastating against Taylor deserted him against another Stoke ace.

Hamilton, a semi-finalist in July's World Matchplay, produced an excellent display to reach a World Championship quarter-final for the first time since 2007, ending with a three-dart average over 99.

"I just concentrated on my game and didn't really take notice of the hype following Dave's victory over Phil Taylor," said a delighted Hamilton, will now play Kim Huybrechts in the last eight.

"I'm enjoying myself out there and I'm so focused. I fully believe that I can win this World Championship and achieve my childhood dream.

"Kim played excellently against Paul Nicholson today, but if he doesn't take his chances against me, then I will make him pay."

Both players held throw in the opening two legs of the match, before Hamilton took the third with a 67 finish.

The fourth leg saw Hamilton miss double 19 for a 155 finish, but Chisnall failed with four attempts of his own to take the leg and the Stoke star returned to hit double 12 and win the set.

Chisnall held throw to take the first leg of the second set, before Hamilton levelled by landing double 16 for a 15-darter.

Both players hit maximums in the third leg, which Chisnall won with a 127 checkout, but a miss at tops for the set in the fourth proved costly as Hamilton hit double 12 to level.

Hamilton, who defeated Vincent van der Voort in an exciting second round encounter, then won the deciding leg courtesy of a 120 checkout to confirm his two-set advantage.

He then made a winning start to set three, with the aid of his third 180 of the game, but wasted three chances to take the second, allowing Chisnall to hit double top to level.

Both players fired 180s in the third leg, which Hamilton won on double 18, and he won the set in the next with an excellent 88 finish, completed on the bullseye, to pull further clear of his opponent with checkouts of 13 and 12 darts.

Chisnall hit double nine to take opening leg of set four, before Hamilton hit double 18 to claim the second and level the set.

Hamilton fired in an excellent 13-darter to secure the third leg to move a leg away from the sealing the match, and although Chisnall hit a fifth 180 in the next leg, the Stoke ace landed double eight to seal a place in the last eight.

"I was prepared for a battle and I went in there solid, but maybe this will be good for me going into the quarter-finals," said Hamilton. "

"Dave threw brilliantly against Phil Taylor and I thought he was going to hit me with everything. When he didn't I knew I had to close the game out quickly, and I did that."I've proven I've got the whole game to beat anybody - I came come from behind and I've won from in front. I'm on top of the world and can't wait for the quarter-finals."

Chisnall admitted: "Andy played well and deserved to win, but I didn't get going.

"I missed a few doubles early on and after that I didn't get going at all, but there wasn't much I could do when he was banging in 180s and 140s for fun.

"To beat Phil Taylor is a good achievement for me and I've had a good year. I've not got much experience on stage but that will come, and I want to keep that progression going in 2012."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.