Friday 30 December 2011

SIMON WHITLOCK 4-3 MICHAEL VAN GERWEN

SIMON WHITLOCK survived an incredible comeback from Michael van Gerwen to reach the last eight of the Ladbrokes World Darts Championship with a thrilling 4-3 victory on Thursday evening at Alexandra Palace.

Whitlock won nine of the first ten legs to move in 3-0 ahead, and looked likely to move into the quarter-finals with a comfortable victory - which would have been much-needed to ease the strain on his injured right ankle.

However, van Gerwen produced an inspired display to take the next three sets and create a thrilling climax.

The first leg of the final set proved crucial as van Gerwen missed two darts to continue his resurgence, and Whitlock stepped in to take the leg and the next two to win the match.

"I'm very relieved to have won that," admitted Whitlock, will now play fellow Alexandra Palace runner-up Gary Anderson for a semi-final place.

"I give full credit to Michael for the comeback he produced. He hit some amazing darts and had me very worried, but I managed to pull myself together, and taking the first leg against the darts in the final set was really important."

Both players hit maximums in the first leg, which was won by Whitlock against the darts after van Gerwen missed four darts at doubles.

Van Gerwen hit another 180 in the second leg, but Whitlock took out 68 to double his lead and then won the third leg with a 62 finish to seal the opening set despite three maximums from the youngster.

The Dutch star, who defeated Colin Osborne and Mervyn King in his first two matches, took the opening leg of set two against the darts with a 70 finish.

Van Gerwen missed three darts to claim the second, which Whitlock won by landing double five with his third dart.

Whitlock hit double top to win the third leg and the fourth also fell in the Australian's favour, as he recorded a 12-dart finish to seal a two-set advantage.

The opening two legs of the third set followed a similar pattern as van Gerwen missed three darts at doubles in both legs to allow Whitlock to move a leg away from a three-set lead.

The 2010 runner-up, who saw off Steve Beaton in the second round, hit a clinical 112 checkout to wrap up the set and then landed an 11-darter at the start of the fourth.

Van Gerwen then hit double 16 at the first time of asking to win just his second leg of the match to level the set also also took the next with a 72 finish.

Van Gerwen then won his third successive leg by landing double ten to win the set and reduce the gap to 3-1.

The 22-year-old hit double eight to keep the winning run going at the start of set five, but Whitlock stopped the rot by taking the next two with checkouts of 81 and 82, which both featured 180s.

Van Gerwen hit double 12 to win the fourth, with his opponent waiting on double eight for the game, and the Australian would get the chance to close out victory in the next only to miss two match darts as the youngster posted tops to win a second set and keep his hopes alive.

Van Gerwen broke throw at the start of the sixth set with a brilliant 11-darter, and then hit a 78 finish in two darts to take the second leg.

Whitlock hit a 180 in the third, but two missed darts at doubles allowed van Gerwen to hit double eight and force a deciding set by squaring the game.

With the momentum having turned van Gerwen's way, the Dutchman crucially allowed a golden chance to lead in the seventh set slip when he missed two darts to win the opening leg.

Whitlock stepped in to finish 60 on double ten before taking the second leg in 12 darts with a 96 checkout to move a leg away from the win, and when van Gerwen missed tops to keep his hopes alive the Australian returned to hit the same bed for victory.

Whitlock added: "I'm relieved to have won that. When I was three sets up I started to feel comfortable and then Michael started hitting everything and it was a great comeback.

"Even though he made it hard for me it's great to see him playing so well.

"I kept thinking to myself I had to show some bottle and I knew how much I wanted this match, and that got me through. I'm like when I was 15, I'm so keen again to get back on my feet and I want everything.

"I'm looking forward to the tough matches. That feeling you get when you're under the pump is the best feeling in the world, when you know you have to throw good darts to win - and when you do it, it's a wonderful feeling."

Van Gerwen said: "I started the game awfully and left myself with so much to do. I kept giving Simon chances and he kept taking them.

"I'm pleased that I made a match of it after that and I played well to take the next three sets. It's just a disappointment that I couldn't carry that on in the decider.

"I'm proud that I have reached the third round of the World Championship for the first time, and I will go away and work harder to improve my game."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.