Monday 12 December 2011

KEVIN PAINTER 9-7 MERVYN KING

KEVIN PAINTER won through to his first major semi-final since 2009 with a 9-7 win over Mervyn King in the Cash Converters Players Championship on Sunday afternoon.

The former World Championship finalist followed up his second round win over Gary Anderson on Saturday night with another strong performance, hitting over 40 percent of his chances at a double to see off King.

King had knocked out reigning champion and world number one Phil Taylor on Saturday night, but was unable to repeat the performance has he exited the tournament.

King did hold the edge early on, finishing 84 on the bull in the opening leg and also winning the third, with Painter hitting double 18 in leg two but unable to land two darts at the bed in the next as his opponent capitalised on double five.

Painter stepped in following misses from King to level in the fourth, and then finished double eight in three successive legs to move 5-2 up.

Painter's winning run was ended in the next leg when he missed tops and King landed double ten, but was unable to hit the bull for a 124 checkout as Painter finished double four for a 14-darter in regaining his advantage.

King replied in kind with a 180 and hit double six to win a fourth leg, only to then burst his score when needing 70 to allow Painter in to hit double 16, before double ten moved him 8-4 up.

King battled to keep the match alive by winning the next two legs, hitting a pair of maximums and finishes of 69 and double two to pull back to 8-6.

Painter then missed the bull for a 122 checkout as King reduced the gap to one leg by landing the bull himself to finish 86.

Painter, though, hit four ton-plus scores in the next leg and finished double 15 to secure his place in the semis, where he meets Scott Rand.

"To beat Mervyn is a great victory for me because he's a class player," said Painter. "I often moan about having bad luck but I've had some good luck in this event with a couple of top players under-performing against me.

"I'm playing well and I've taken advantage by nicking legs where I can. My scoring's not been as good as I'd like but my finishing has been good."

King admitted: "I couldn't find my doubles in the first eight legs and I didn't score like I can. Kevin took advantage and he was the better player on the day."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.