Monday 12 December 2011

MARK WEBSTER 9-8 DAVE CHISNALL

MARK WEBSTER edged a dramatic 17-leg thriller with Dave Chisnall to win through to the semi-finals of the Cash Converters Players Championship in a tight last eight contest.

Chisnall, seeking to reach his first major PDC semi-final, led 3-1 early on but saw the lead slip away as Webster took five successive legs to move into a 7-4 lead.

He also took an 8-5 lead but was unable to close out victory as Chisnall clawed his way back to level, before Webster finally secured the win with his 11th match dart.

"It was scrappy at times but it was an exciting game too and I'm glad to be through," said Webster, who now plays Wes Newton in the semis.

"I'd have kicked myself if I'd lost that after being in that position but I scraped through and I'll prepare for the semis now. I'm getting back on the practice board and will work on my doubles a bit."

Webster hit a 180 in the game's opening leg, but Chisnall replied in kind before landing double 18 to lead.

Webster landed another maximum in the second, levelling on double two, but Chisnall finished 66 and 74 on double top to win the next two and move 3-1 up.

Tops gave Webster a second leg, but Chisnall landed the same double to win the next following four misses from the Welshman and take a 4-2 cushion.

Webster, though, continued the clinical finishing on tops to hit the bed in winnning the next four legs as he turned a two leg deficit into a two leg lead, and he then hit a 180 and a 100 finish in a 12-darter to move 7-4 up.

Chisnall hit back on double 16 and hit a 180 in being first to a finish in the 13th leg - but he crucially missed seven darts at a double before Webster stepped in on tops to move a leg away from victory.

The St Helens ace opened the next with back-to-back 180s, but after seeing a potential nine-darter go begging he suffered further double trouble to give Webster his chance to take the win.

The Welshman, though, was unable to capitalise with one dart at tops and three on the wire of double ten, with Chisnall posting double two to stay alive.

When Webster missed double 12, six and three to take victory in the 16th leg Chisnall again stepped in, this time taking out 68 on tops to force a decider.

However, Chisnall's trebles deserted him in his first four visits to the oche as Webster moved clear.

The St Helens man then posted a 180, but it came in vain as Webster returned from three more missed match darts to hit double five and finally reach the semis.

"I'm disappointed to have lost but it was a great game," said Chisnall. "It took my a while to get going and when I got my scoring going it flowed for me but I was unlucky with a few doubles."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.