Tuesday 20 December 2011

Lewis Stared Defeat In The Eyes

ADRIAN LEWIS came back from the dead to bury The Undertaker in a dramatic first night at Alexandra Palace.

Defending champ Jackpot looked down and out at two sets down but fought back to level up the match.
Heydon came back again and Lewis was on the ropes at 3-2 down in legs in the final set.
However Lewis, way off his best form, produced three gritty legs to grind out a heart-stopping 5-3 final set triumph and the match.
Lewis was even stung by a WASP backstage during a break but he was buzzing after saving his skin.
He said: "I couldn't believe it, I was two sets down and then during the break I felt something on my left hand and it was a wasp. I flicked it off but it stung me and my left hand has swollen up.
"I guess luckily for me it wasn't my right throwing hand or I really would have been finished. In some ways you could say that stung me into action.
"I'm just thankful to have stayed in the tournament. I was on the ropes big time and fair play to Nigel, his scoring and finishing were fantastic.
"I never once thought I was out. Phil Taylor always says you are never finished in a match. I kept fighting and I knew if I could just hit a few 180s it might put him under enough pressure to make him miss a few and he did.
"I just dug deep enough to get through. The irony is that The Undertaker made me dig deep but least he didn't kill me off!"
Heydon admitted: "My finishing went to pieces when I needed it most. I felt really good during the match and felt good enough to go on and win but the pressure told in the end."
In a night of shocks, the Prince of Wales Richie Burnett left countryman Mark Webster feeling like the prince of wails.
In the battle of the Welsh former world champs Burnett beat Webster, quarter-finalist for past two years in an epic 3-2 battle.
Burnett said: "That was hard, the draw was tough with us being friends but I'm happy to be through."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.