Wednesday 21 December 2011

TERRY JENKINS 3-0 JOE CULLEN

TERRY JENKINS secured a place in the last 32 of the Ladbrokes World Darts Championship with a straightforward 3-0 victory against Joe Cullen.

Jenkins, won a dramatic five-set battle against the promising youngster, but dropped just three legs on this occasion as he swept into the second round.

The 2011 semi-finalist recorded an 89 finish to win the first leg before Cullen levelled on double eight, and Jenkins won the third in 14 darts before defying a 180 from the Yorkshireman in the next to hit double eight and win the first set.

Jenkins hit a 13-dart finish to break throw at the start of the second set before doubling his lead with a 14-darter.

The tenth seed then hit a 106 checkout to win his fourth successive leg and leave the Bradford youngster two sets down.

Jenkins continued his impressive form with a 14-darter to make a positive start to the third set but missed four chances to take the second, allowing Cullen to win just his third leg of the match on double ten.

The third leg saw Jenkins miss five darts at doubles, but Cullen was off-target with his attempt at double 16 and the seven-time major finalist accepted the reprieve by landing double ten.

That put Jenkins one leg away from victory, which was duly completed as Jenkins powered in a 116 checkout to cap off a fine performance.

"I expected Joe to play a bit better and he struggled a bit, but I kept the pressure on him and hit the finishes at the right times," said Jenkins. "He's a very good player and it's a relief to get that one out of the way.

"I'm throwing well, I'm putting the right sort of practice in, my head's right and you never know what might happen. If I can bring my practice game onto the stage I can beat anybody, and there's a chance for me this year I think."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.