Friday 20 January 2012

West wins PDC Spot

Former BDO World Masters champion Tony West led the first four winners of PDC Tour cards after the opening day of the Qualifying School in Barnsley.
West joined Darren Whittingham, Richie Howson and Andrew Cornwall in claiming Tour cards and joining the PDC after he defeated Isle of Wight youngster Keegan Brown in their deciding game.
"I'm over the moon," said West. "It's been an amazing couple of weeks for me because I lost my darts before playing at Lakeside and I've not been able to settle with a set since then.
"I chopped and changed a bit during the day with using different flights but I've managed to get through.
"This is only the first step for me though and it's a new start in my career. I can play in all the events on the PDC circuit now and I want to make an impression."

Young gun

While West was the most experienced of the four Tour Card winners on Thursday, 20-year-old Whittingham, a warehouse operative from Market Drayton, was the youngest to qualify.
"I'm lost for words," said Whittingham, who also defeated Wayne Pepper, Paul Davison, James Young, recent World Championship qualifier Kurt Van De Rijck and Nigel Birch on Thursday.
"Winning a Tour Card takes the pressure off you because you're guaranteed a place in all the ProTour events, so it's a massive chance for me to get experience and hopefully establish myself.
"I can still play on the Youth Tour too but my goal now is to qualify for the World Championship next December."
Howson, a cabinet maker from Essex, will now turn professional after defeating Holland's Mareno Michels 6-2 in his decisive game.
"The UK Open was a great experience for me and it made me want to come and play in the PDC," said Howson, 46. "I wasn't expecting to qualify on the first day but I played well and everything came together for me. I can't believe it - it's awesome and I'm really looking forward to the next couple of years."
Cornwall qualifies
Blackburn's Andrew Cornwall was the other Tour Card winner as he enjoyed a brilliant debut in a PDC event, as the 40-year-old LED company owner took out finishes of 156 and 120 in defeating Canada's Jeff Smith 6-3 in his final game of the day.
"This is amazing for me," said Cornwall. "I've only been playing for three years or so but I did quite well last year and wanted to give the PDC Qualifying School a try.
"To get through is fantastic and hopefully I can have a good go at proving myself on the professional tour now. It's going to be hard running my company and playing on the circuit, but hopefully I can pick up a couple of sponsors and give it my best shot."
There was disappointment on the first of four days for 2011 Lakeside Championship finalist Dean Winstanley, who was defeated 6-5 in the second round by Pat Pace, who took out an 11-darter to win the deciding leg of their contest.
John Bowles, who reached the last 16 at the 2011 UK Open, knocked out former Las Vegas Desert Classic winner Peter Manley and Andy Jenkins before losing to Andrew Johnson in the fourth round, while 1996 World Matchplay winner Peter Evison was knocked out in the second round by Tony Tasker.
Former Lakeside Champion Les Wallace was defeated by Murnan in the second round, while 2004 winner Andy Fordham pulled out during his first game with a back injury, but hopes to be able to compete in the remaining days.
Play continues on Friday, when the remaining players return to compete in day two of four at the Barnsley Metrodome, with four Tour Cards to be awarded and further ranking points on offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.