Friday 2 March 2012

JAMES WADE 8-6 KEVIN PAINTER

JAMES WADE picked up his first victory of the McCoy's Premier League Darts season as he defeated Kevin Painter 8-6 at the Westpoint Arena in Exeter.

The 2009 champion had suffered defeat in his opening three matches this season, but landed three ton-plus checkouts in claiming both points against Painter.

Wade did suffered some early nerves on doubles - allowing Painter in to finish 66 in two darts in the opening leg before needing six darts to win the second on double two, after his opponent missed a dart to break - but settled to move into a 3-1 lead with checkouts of 118 and double top.

Painter hit a 180 and finished 81 on the bull for a 12-darter in the fifth leg, but Wade added a 117 checkout to lead 4-2 at the break.

Painter took the seventh on double 12, but crucially missed two darts at tops to break back in the next as Wade landed double ten to regain his two-leg cushion.

Painter finished 118 in the ninth only to see Wade land a second 117 checkout in the next, with the game of cat-and-mouse continuing as double 16 saw Painter cut the gap to 6-5 before the left-hander tok out tops to ensure a point.

Painter took out 68 in two darts to win the 13th and send the match into a decider, but he was unable to break Wade's throw as the 2009 champion was first to a finish and checked out 78 in two dart to seal victory.

"It's a big relief to get the win," said Wade. "I didn't play as well as I can do but I did enough and took my opportunities.

"I'll take this and hopefully I can build on this now. I've always been a scrapper and I'll keep fighting in this tournament."

Painter said: "That's probably my worst performance so far this season. I know I can play a lot better and I've got to up my scoring - I struggled to find the treble 20 bed tonight.

"I had a chance to break with the 102 finish and if that had gone in then James' head might have gone down a little at 2-0, but I was poor."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.