Friday 2 March 2012

RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD 8-6 ANDY HAMILTON

RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD edged out Andy Hamilton 8-6 in a dramatic finale to claim his first McCoy's Premier League Darts win of the season in Exeter.

The Dutchman maintained his impressive start to the season as he followed up two previous draws and a 106 average in last week's defeat to Phil Taylor by taking both points against the World Championship finalist.

Hamilton had hit six doubles from as many attempts in taking a 6-4 lead, but van Barneveld won the final four legs without reply as the Stoke ace missed four darts to snatch a draw in the final leg.

Van Barneveld made a confident start, hitting a 180 and finishing double 18 for a 13-darter, before Hamilton won the next three, hitting a 177 in a 12-darter to break, as he moved 3-1 up.

Van Barneveld took out 72 to take the fifth, but Hamilton won a key sixth going into the break by taking out 66 with the Dutchman waiting on 40 after hitting a 180.

The next four were shared to leave Hamilton 6-4 up, but van Barneveld turned the game with a brilliant spell, hitting 180s in three successive legs, which he won in 11, 15 and 15 darts to move 7-6 up.

Hamilton was first to a double in the decider, but missed four darts at double 16 to claim a draw and the Dutchman punished him on double 18 to take both points.

"It was a really good game and I'm very happy to come out with the win," said van Barneveld. "Andy was finishing well but I still believe that I can do great things and I'm fighting hard.

"I might have given up last year but I don't do that now. I've changed my attitude and believe in how I can play."

Hamilton said: "I'm competing well and I think I should have got a draw there, but I missed those doubles at the end there and I was trying so hard to hit that double 16 - but I'll be back next week!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.