Tuesday 20 December 2011

For The Family

PHIL TAYLOR spent the days leading up to last year's World Championship sick with worry over the health of his nine-week premature born grandson Jack.

Now the kid is the inspiration behind The Power's bid to net his 16th world title and regain his Alexandra Palace crown.
Taylor, who starts his championship bid tomorrow tonight, broke away from practice on Monday to celebrate Jack's first birthday with daughter Natalie.
It was a far cry from 12 months ago as Jack fought for life following his unexpected early birth.
Taylor said: "It was touch and go for the first few days of his life.
"Jack was nine weeks premature and was immediately on the critical list. It didn't look good.
"We were with Natalie and Jack round the clock to support them. It was terrifying.
"I was up until 5am three mornings on the trot before my first match. It was an ordeal just to keep my daughter positive because she was obviously so tired. Jack was in hospital for several weeks.
"He was the main priority. Sometimes there are more important things in life than darts. My family means everything to me, to see my grandson so weak was awful.
"It's wonderful to see Jack so strong now, though, what a relief."
Taylor, 51, is determined to keep winning titles until Jack is old enough to realise what his grandad does for a living.
He added: "I'm coming up to retirement, but, of course, I'd love Jack to see me play on TV and to see me winning titles would be even better.
"In some ways seeing him drives me on a bit further than before. Having a third grandchild is an amazing feeling, it's given me a new lease of life."
Taylor, who has been suffering from a stomach bug all week, will face either Haruki Muramatsu or Dennis Nilsson in his opener.
But he's convinced he has a voodoo spell on his rivals.
He insisted: "Part of my game has always been getting into my opponent's head. I want to make my rivals think if they don't hit the perfect shot, I'll win the leg.
"It's like a voodoo spell of pressure and it is becoming more and more vital as the standard gets so tough in the PDC.
"I'm working as hard as I can to up my standard. I want to finish my career at the top of the game.
"I want to be hitting averages of around 120, 130, and be the best there's ever been.
"It would be even more fantastic to see my grandson Jack watching me achieve that. That's my dream."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.