Tuesday 20 December 2011

GARY ANDERSON Not Touching A Thing

GARY ANDERSON won't touch silverware until he proves his own mettle.

The Flying Scotsman refused to handle the Ladbrokes.com World Championship trophy all year — after just failing to win it last January.
Now, 11 months after losing out to Adrian Lewis, he kicks off his title tilt at the Alexandra Palace tonight against German Jyhan Artut.
And the Berwick ace will only touch it if he wins it on January 2.
He revealed: "I've done some exhibitions with Adrian this year and he's brought the trophy along.
"Fans wanted pictures with me holding the trophy but I've refused.
"They also wanted pictures of me with the trophy at the press call but I still wouldn't touch it.
"I'll only pick it up when it is rightfully mine, it's just not my trophy to touch or lift right now.
"I'm not superstitious at all. I'm not the sort of bloke to wear the same pants, stay in the same hotel room or go through any rituals, I just play my darts and if I'm good enough to win then great, if I lose then so be it.
"It's not superstition stopping me touching the trophy, I just have to win it to lift it and that's what I'm here to do."
Ando, who turns 42 on Thursday, gets ready to kick off his championship assault with a huge expectancy on his shoulders after his run to the final in last year's event.
But he said: "People are expecting me to waltz my way into the final again but it isn't that easy.
"World class players like Mark Webster, Ronnie Baxter and Ray van Barneveld have been beaten and, to be honest, Adrian should have lost on the opening night.
"It just proves how high the standard is in the PDC, it's not a cliche, but anyone can beat you.
"I feel for these guys. They are all getting stick on the internet, people saying they're finished.
"There's folk sitting behind computers having a go at players who are giving their all to win.
"People don't realise what a tough sport this is. We all have highs and lows, that's natural.
"I really feel for Barney, that result will really hurt him deep inside like it will Mark and Ronnie. It can happen to any of us."
Barney's fragile temperament wilted under the pressure — and critics have always questioned Anderson's mental strength.
He added: "I feared for Barney when he went a set down because his head dropped, but James played brilliantly.
"Hopefully I'm consistent enough to still be in it to win it on January 2. Only then will I get a chance to touch the trophy."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.